Net Positive is a new way of doing business that puts back more into society, the environment and the global economy than it takes out.
Organisations that take a Net Positive approach share an ambition to grow their brand, have strong financial performance and attract the brightest talent. Spread across the private, public and not-for-profit sectors, they recognise that business is a marathon, not a sprint, along new routes that are still emerging. The destination for each is the same: thriving organisations that deliver benefits that extend far beyond traditional organisational boundaries.
Becoming Net Positive requires organisations to be ambitious and plan for long-term success. They have to go beyond risk avoidance and incremental improvements and start to innovate.
What we are doing: Net Positive Group
Convened in 2013 by non-profits Forum for the Future, The Climate Group and WWF, the Net Positive Group is made up of BT, Capgemini, Dell, Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue, IKEA Group, Kingfisher, Pepsico, SKF, The Crown Estate, and TUI Group. These organisations are united by their aim to have a positive impact and are all committed to increasing the number of companies making these ambitious pledges.
What we found
By bringing companies together in the Net Positive Group and enabling them to share their knowledge in a creative and trusted environment, we have been able to develop our collective understanding of the Net Positive concept further and faster.
Within a year of inception, the group laid out 12 principles that characterise a Net Positive approach, tying together all of the areas in which organisations should act.
In 2015, we have taken things further by developing a Net Positive measurement framework to enable outcomes to be measured accurately, and have provided guidance on how to communicate an organisation’s approach in a clear and compelling way.
The following reports have been developed to help organisations that are thinking about making a Net Positive commitment and are free to download:
- Net Positive: A new way of doing business – 12 principles that can be used as a checklist for good practice;
- Measuring your way to Net Positive – intended as a guide to helping you to put the right measures in place;
- Communicating Net Positive – this guide will help you to tell your story in a clear and compelling way.
Over the next few months we will be working together with other organisations that are active in this space to grow the number of companies making Net Positive commitments. If your company has already made a Net Positive commitment or is close to doing so, and you would like to get involved with the Net Positive Group, please get in touch with Zoe Le Grand at Forum for the Future.
- Eight steps to make the idea of 'net positive' more than simply jargon, by Sally Uren
- Net positive - the next step for sustainability pioneers, by Sally Uren
- Over the overdraft, by Zoe Le Grand
- The many benefits of being net positive, by Zoe Le Grand
- Net Positive- Revolution not Evolution, by Helen Clarkson
- Telling your Net Positive story: 7 principles for demonstrating your company's positive impact, by Zoe Le Grand