Leadership for Sustainable Development
STOP PRESS! High-flying Masters graduates to join M&S food division. More.
Forum for the Future’s Masters course in Leadership for Sustainable Development provides recent graduates with the knowledge, skills and experience needed to launch a career in the sustainability sector. The 10-month, full-time course is based at the global sustainability non-profit’s London headquarters, where scholars benefit directly from our unique expertise, contacts and access to Partner companies, and includes four six-week work placements. Highly regarded by employers, it has a 90% employment rate in sustainability roles within three months of graduating.
"The four six-week placements are what stand us apart from all other sustainability leadership courses and are a crucial element of the course. We believe this practical experience will give you the self-belief and competence to be an effective agent for change."
Over the last three years, graduates have gone on to fulfil sustainability roles within many well-known organisations, including WWF, Thames Water, Sustrans, Sainsbury’s, M&S, KPMG, Good Energy, Greenpeace, the GLA, Forestry Commission, Future Cities Catapult, DfID, and local and central government.
Download the application form here.
Who is it for?
Recent graduates from any discipline who are passionate about sustainable development and working towards a career in the sector.
To develop sustainability champions who have both the competence and confidence to become leaders for sustainable development through equipping them with the knowledge and skills needed.
- Apply an understanding of the concepts of sustainable development, systems thinking, leadership and innovation in a range of contexts
- Understand through first-hand experience, the sustainability opportunities and challenges faced by organisations
- Develop transferable skills and competencies relevant to one aspiring to provide leadership in sustainable development
Designed for a small group of 12 students, the course programme is at the cutting-edge of theory and practice. Four, six-week long work placements with our partner businesses, government departments and NGOs are a unique feature allowing the building of an impressive CV and numerous contacts. These placements are interspersed with seminar weeks based at Forum’s London offices.
Tuition is from leading thinkers and practitioners such as Jonathon Porritt, Sara Parkin, Professor Tim Jackson and Leadership Trust experts. There is a strong emphasis on skills development and group work, including a group project in lieu of a dissertation. Coursework only, no examinations.
This programme is a joint initiative between Forum for the Future and Middlesex University, supported by the Leadership Trust. The qualification is a Master of Arts from Middlesex University. It is not graded and is based on one 180 credit module.
The fees for UK/EU residents for the 2015-16 academic year will be in the region of £10,000. These fees cover:
- Access to Middlesex University's facilities
- Access to Forum for the Future’s expertise and resources, including an individual mentor from the Forum staff and invitation to Forum’s staff learning events
- Sourcing of four work placements and support throughout each
- Accommodation and travel costs for out of London placements
- Two modules run by the commercial leadership development experts, The Leadership Trust
- 15 weeks of tuition, seminars and skills sessions led by leading sustainability experts
- Five individual tutorials with detailed feedback and guidance on written work
- Membership of a close knit support network of over 200 course alumni who are working in sustainability
Watch our webinar: Click here to view an in-depth introduction to the course, with interactive Q&A discussion.
Course brochure: click here for more information about the course and to see what some of our graduates say.